-
November 14th, 2002, 08:00 AM
#1
Inactive Member
This is a question I want to find an answer for a long time. How come the cord for my toaster (it's a Phillip and is CSA approved) has no ground prong? Thanks.
-
November 15th, 2002, 12:32 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Because the toaster is "Double Insulated" it is not required to be bonded to ground.
Code rule 10-408(3) 18th edition CEC
The toaster has all exposed metalwork separated from the conductors by two layers of insulation, so that the metalwork cannot become live. There is no ground connection and the operator?s safety depends upon the integrity of the two layers of insulation.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 15, 2002 12:18 AM: Message edited by: bigrockk ]</font>
-
November 15th, 2002, 05:19 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks. But why not have a ground and double insulated? Will it be safer to have a ground also? I remember I had a 1000w baseboard heater also has no ground. Is it also the same principle? I just look up the code. However, there is no marking of double insulated in the label of the toaster. I know some electric drill bear the symbol of double insulated.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 15, 2002 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Dtong ]</font>
-
November 15th, 2002, 10:02 PM
#4
Inactive Member
It may be that Part II standard dosn't require it. 10-408(1b)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks